Thursday, March 19, 2020

Theology 10: The Maccabean Period

Greetings All-

I hope everyone is safe and healthy, and that your family and friends are safe and healthy as well. Maybe soon we'll be seeing each other again, but in the meantime, it is for times like this that this blog exists. For the foreseeable future, everything I post online will be found here, but links to each post will be provided in Google Classroom, on FinalSite, and through Remind, so whatever your chosen method of checking in, you'll be able to stay updated and keep up with the work for my class.

As most of you should know, I handed out the notes pages for the presentations on the Maccabean and (the beginning of) the Roman Periods on the Friday before Coronapalooza began. But if you need copies of those pages, don't worry, I'll always post printable PDFs along with each presentation in case you missed them (they're under the heading for the presentation, below). Just keep in mind that I'm sticking to my requirement of handwritten notes for the class, meaning that when (not if, I am after all, nothing if not a bright, cheerful optimist) we return, I'll expect you to have those notes just in case I were to give a review quiz to see how well you kept up, and you'll also be responsible for turning ALL your notes in for a test grade at the end of the 4th quarter.

But without further ado, let's get this party started. Below you will find my first official video presentation, on The Maccabean Period. Unfortunately, do to time constraints, I had to skip a presentation on Aristotle that also wrapped up the Hellenistic Worldview. Maybe I'll be able to recover it in the future...



The Maccabean Period

Relevant Notes Pages:
pp 93-94
pp 95-96







Once you've finished with the video, below I've embedded a little quiz, just to test your knowledge. Take it if you wish...it's not required, and I don't see your grade. It's just a way to see what you learned. There are also some question below the quiz which you might want to contemplate...they might eventually make their way onto a test in the future...


The Maccabean Period: Quiz





The Maccabean Period: Questions 

  • Who was Flavius Josephus, and what is his significance to Biblical Studies? What are his two most important works, and why must they be treated with caution?
  • Why did Judaism eventually come to take an ambivalent attitude towards the reign of the Maccabees? What were both the good and bad aspects of this period?
  • Why, according to Josephus, did the various sects of Judaism begin to appear in the Maccabean Period? What did each sect believe?